07 May 2007

Beam It Down From the Web, Scotty - New York Times

Beam It Down From the Web, Scotty - New York Times

A nifty article about 3D printing, focusing on Desktop Factory, a start-up in Pasadena that's developing a low-cost, desktop 3D printer. They expect to get the price down to about $1000 in 5 years. Either they will do it, or someone else will - probably a half-dozen companies.

I'm quoted in the article saying that the market for 3D printers is huge, but smaller than laser printers. In thinking about it further, I guess that's true in the short run, but in the long run 3D printing will be much much bigger than laser printing. I know I'm a hopeless optimist, but I really believe at some point we'll learn to live with less paper (I know I certainly have). But we'll always want things. After all, 2D printing is really just a special case of 3D printing.

No comments: