04 June 2007

True Tales From LA Part One: The Feng Shui Car Wash Experience

I wrote this a few years ago, and one of my friends encouraged me to put it on line and write more. If you like it, please let me know, it will motivate me to write some more!

True Life Tales of LA, Part One: The Feng Shui Car Wash Experience

I grew up in LA, and like most of my friends I got my driver’s license after school on my 16th birthday, so I’m hardly a stranger to Car Culture. But after spending 20 years on the East Coast, I have had a bit re-entry anxiety. One of my dilemmas has been dealing with getting the car washed.

When I was a kid, I used to wash my dad’s car for a buck, 5 dollars for a hand-polish with Kit wax. I guess it was sometime after my kid brother’s price got too high that my parents started taking the car to the Car Wash. Occasionally when I’d come back and visit, I’d end up at the Car Wash with my Dad. It always seemed kind of crazy to be spending 10 bucks to wash the car. But by then they were living in Pacific Palisades, and it was kind of cool to go to a Car Wash where you might rub shoulders with Chevy Chase or Goldie Hawn while waiting for your car, so I could tolerate it. But I never figured I’d spend 10 dollars to wash my wheels.

continued...

1 comment:

me said...

Wow. I feel like I've travelled from the east coast all the way to CA and had my car washed! Definitely write more.